1 bar of soap (we used Dove for sensitive skin)
1 box grater with removable lid
1 bowl to hold grated soap
1 tablespoon of warm water
1 medium sized cutting board
1 cookie cutter (approximately 2”x 2” works well)
1.Set up the grater so that child will pull the soap away from midline with their dominant hand.
If this is too difficult for the child, reposition the grater box so that child can brace the
box against their body and pull soap towards them.
2.Demonstrate to child how to hold the soap with one hand and the grater box with the other hand and as they pull the soap across the top.
3.Discuss safety to keep fingers up and away from the sharp grater.
4.Show the child how to remove the top of the grater box and look inside to see the soap gratings collected inside.
5.Allow child to grate the soap with close supervision, helping them to reposition their gasp on the soap and on the grater box as needed.
6. Stop the child from grating when bar of soap becomes so small that it is not longer safe for their fingers.
7. Help the child transfer the soap gratings into a mixing bowl. Encourage them feel the texture of the dry soap flakes as they do so.
8. Add 1 tablespoon of warm water to the soap flakes, and show the child how to mix and squeeze the soap into a ball with their hands. Keep a damp towel nearby to wipe hands on if necessary.
9. Once the soap is in a ball, show the child how to use their hands to flatten it into a pancake to the approximate height of the cookie cutter.
10. Allow the child to push the cookie cutter into the center of the soap cake and then show child how to peel away excess soap.
11. Show the child how to remove the cookie cutter from the soap shape and use a spatula to move the finished soap shape out of the work space.
12. Repeat until all of the soap is used (we were able to make four heart shaped soaps with 1 bar of bath soap)
13. Allow the soap shapes to dry overnight
14. Wrap the shape soaps individually with tissue paper, saran wrap, or place in small jewelry boxes to give as gifts. We used a heart cutter in order to give the soap as Valentine’s gifts, but this project can be done at any time year.
Experience with dry and sticky textures