Our March Open House and 5 year anniversary celebration was a success! We enjoyed the opportunity to share information about our programming as well as collaborate with other professionals who work with children with sensory processing disorders.
Dr. K. Virdee, ND, a naturopath whose practice is located in Fairfield, CT, shared some great take home information on Facebook from the talk given by Amanda Michel, MLD, OTR/L at our open house.
Here are some of the tips she walked away with to get kiddos to “eat the rainbow”
- Select a color for the week and challenge yourself to creating as many whole-foods meals for your kiddos as possible with that color
- Describe the texture, color, odor, taste of different veggies to your kids as you eat them
- Set up a “scavenger hunt” the next time you go grocery shopping. “Name all the yellow foods that you see!”
- Have your children be in control of the portions of veggies they eat and put a “spit bowl” near them in case they don’t like the food
- Put all of the healthy choices for foods at their eye level of your food pantry and fridge so that they snack on healthier foods.
Thank you Dr. Virdee for sharing this information and helping to spread the word on the value to supporting development of healthy eating habits and expanding the variety of food children are exposed to, interact with, and add to their plate!